For University of Johannesburg staff only: SAPnet Online Book & Information materials ordering system.
Good NEWS for all University of Johannesburg users.
This year we have the following NEW Databases:
The Sage journals content is in the: Social Sciences & Humanities; Health Sciences; Life & Biomedical Sciences; Materials Science & Engineering.
The journals relevant to Sciences are from: Geography, Urban Studies & Planning, Research Methods & Evaluation, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Cell Biology, Life Sciences, Engineering, Computing, Materials Science.
Informit service is the leading source of online full text, multimedia and index databases that deliver the most authoritative research from Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region. Access is to articles, Conference papers, working papers, grey literature, etc.
The UJ Library subscribes to the:
- Business Collection
- Engineering Collection
- Health Collection
- Humanities & Social Sciences Collection
For more information visit: http://www.informit.com.au/
The Thieme Teaching Assistant is a state-of-the-art presentation tool featuring thousands of stunning illustrations and clinical images from Gilroy et al.
The UJ Library subscribes to the:
Atlas of Anatomy & Fundamentals of Medical Physiology
Reaxys is a unique web-based chemistry workflow solution which supports research and fuels discovery by integrating searches for reaction and substance data with synthesis planning and chemical sourcing.
The McGregor BFA range of research products caters to the needs of the local and international research community. The depth and breadth of company research data available in the research products are unparalleled. Access with PASSWORD!
The World Bank eLibrary provides access to a growing collection of more than 6,000 ebooks, journal articles, and working papers from the world’s most authoritative source on international development as they are published
Topics covered are: Agriculture, Energy, Environment, Macroeconomics & Economics, Poverty reduction, Rural development, Transport, Urban Development, and much more….
OECD iLibrary is Online Library for Books, Papers, Factbooks and Glossaries and the gateway to OECD’s (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) analysis and data.
Topics: Agriculture and Food; Economics; Development; Education; Energy; Environment; Nuclear Energy; Science & Technology; Social issues/Migration/Health; Transport; Urban/Rural/ Regional Development. Worldwide Countries – incl. South Africa.
“How to Find Print & Online Book at UJ Library” (for Sciences users)
Have a look at this interactive poster to find direct links to the:
- UJLink: Library Catalogue
- Course Reserves
- Sciences Online Books & Reference Works Collections
- Individual Online Book Collections
Visit the UJ Sciences Librarian Portal for more resources
The following databases form part of the UJ Library resources in 2010. Those databases in ‘blue“ are already available.
Electronic Databases: Journals/Proceeding/ Theses & Dissertations
Full-text access to:
- Cambridge Journals Online (Multidisciplinary)
- Emerald Management plus + Engineering Journals. (incl. All current + future new journal titles)
- ICE Geotechnique (Archive 1848-2002)
- ICE Magazine of Concrete research (Archive 1979-2002) Civil engineering
- IEC Proceedings (archive & current 1836+) Civil Engineering
- IEEE Xplore. Journals & Proceeding full-text from 1913+. Science & Engineering.
- Political Science Complete (EbscoHost)
- Project Muse Journals: Humanities Collection ONLY.
- Proquest: Full-text Theses & Dissertations
- Wiley Interscience: Wiley journals in addition to the Blackwell titles. Full-text collection access to all titles from 1997+.
- World Bank e-Library (Reports, Books, etc.)
Electronic Databases: E-Books
Full-text access to:
- 24/7 E-Books (Information Technology and Engineering Collections, incl. Sciences)
- MyiLibrary E-Books (starts March 2010)
- CRC INDUSTRIALnetBASE Online Books (Engineering & Science)
- CRC ENVIROnetBASE Online Books (Environmental Science, Ecology)
- Access Emergency Medicine (textbooks, etc.)
- Emerald Social Sciences E-Book Collection
- Emerald Economic & Management E-Book Collection
For more information, contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Johannesburg Library collection of Electronic Books grow each year. Most of the databases are purchased by the Engineering Faculty, but many of these titles are relevant to the Sciences.
Have a look and make use of these collections. Why not recommend some of these books as an additional reading material to your students?
The Online Book databases are IP Authenticated
Remote access is available
AccessEngineering (Remote Access – YES)
Communication Engineering Books (39) (Wireless Security; 3G Wireless Networks; etc.)
Optical Engineering (18)
The books in these collections cover a wide subject spectrum of interest to Scientists: Energy; Environmental & Ecological; Computing; Remote sensing; Chemistry and many more. The number of books grow each year with new publications.
ENGnetBASE (Over 1350 e-books)
- CivilENGINEERINGnetBASE (Over 255 e-books)
- ElectricalENGINEERINGnetBASE (Over 775 e-books)
- MechanicalENGINEERINGnetBASE (Over 240 e-books)
- TellecomunicationsNetBase (Over 215 e-books)
INDUSTRIALnetBASE (Over 130 e-books)
MATERIALSnetBASE (Over 350 books)
ENVIROnetBASE (Over 570 e-books) NEW!
- Earth Science (13 e-books)
- Ecological Economics (8 e-books)
- Ecology (60 e-books)
- Environmental Modeling & Systems Analysis (18 e-books)
- Environmental & Ecological Risk Assessment (39 e-books)
- Environmental Engineering (Over 100 e-books)
- Environmental Health (31 e-books)
- Environmental Law, Management and Compliance (45 e-books)
- Environmental Toxicology (62 e-books)
- General (6 e- books; Energy Portfolios, Global Warming; Soil; Organic Chemicals, etc.)
- Geology (14 e-books)
- GIS and Mapping (44 e-book)
- Hazardous Materials (14 e-books)
- Landscape Ecology (9 e-books)
- Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry (58 e-books)
- Resource Management & Sustainability (30 e-books)
- Turfgrass Science & Engineering (3 e-books)
> ICE Virtual Library (Conference Proceeding, 1836-2002)
> Referex (via Engineering Village 2/ EV2) (Remote Access – YES)
The Library subscribes to 2 collections Electronic & Electrical Books (411) and Materials & Mechanical Books (521). These are some of the subject collections:
- Applied Mathematics (7 books)
- Atomic & Molecular Physics and Optics (15 books)
- Computer Science Applications (11 books)
- Computational Theory & Mathematics (6 books)
- Computer Graphics & Computer-Aided Design (12 books)
- Computer Interfacing (6 books)
- Computer Networks & Communication (43 books)
- Electrical Power & Distribution (11 books)
- Energy Engineering & Power Technology (12 books)
- Environmental Engineering (9 books)
- Environmental Science (7 books)
- Information Systems (10 books)
- Materials Science (17 books)
- Plant Maintenance (8 books)
- Software (34 books)
> Science Dissemination Using Open Access (Free access, Web 2.0; Open Access)
Enjoy your reading. If you have any comments, please let me know.
Enjoy two additional weeks of 24/7 online books. The TRIAL has been extended until 14/June/2009. It is mostly for the academics, who have been busy with assignments marks and exams preparation during May and have had no time to make use of it.
View my previous post for more information.
For more information contact me on: email@example.com or leave a comment.
The Library has arranged a TRIAL for ONLINE BOOKS 24/7. Click HERE for direct access. I have place also direct link on the Sciences Librarian Portal under TRIAL databases and on the Databases list. It is also available on the main Library website. To access these books you will need to login (surname; staff/student number; PIN). If you still don’t have PIN, follow the available instructions.
Books 24/7 is a web-based platform, that enables users to search and access online books from Microsoft Press, Osborne/McGraw-Hill, AMACOM, Harvard Business School Publishing, Cambridge University Press and Wiley. The collections include:
- Information Technology (ITPro collection)
- Business and Professional Skills/Development
- Engineering (EngineeringPro collection)
- Financial and Accounting Information, etc.
Who can benefit: Information Technology users; Physics users; Mathematics, Applied Maths & Statistics users; Environmental Management & Energy users; Sciences & Engineering users, etc.
Remote Access: Available
Searching TIPS: You can either browse per topic or search the content with keywords (basic and advanced search screens). Also use the available HELP menu.
Some topics of interest from the ProIT and Engineering Collections, for the Sciences users:
IT and Technical Topics: (Business & Culture (680 books); Databases (925 books); Certification & Compliance (768 books); Enterprise Computing (693 books); Hardware (186 books); IBM Technologies (761 books); Networks & Protocols (794 books); Operating Systems (845 books); Programming Languages (2650 books); Security (652 books); Software Engineering (479 books); Telecommunications (306 books); Web Programming & Development (1647 books)
- Engineering Topics: Physics (27 books, incl. Physics for Engineers and Scientists; Applied Quantum Mechanics, etc.)
- Engineering: Environmental Engineering (56 books, incl. books on Alternative Energy (17); Environmental Disputes (4); Solid Waste (4); Water & Wastewater (16)
- Engineering Topics: Mathematics (158 books, incl. books on Algebra (2); Applied Maths (49); Computational Methods (38); Discrete Math (1); Geometry & Topology (4); Probability & Statistics (12), etc.
- Engineering Topics: Petroleum, Mining & Geological (53 books, incl. books on Geology (5); Mining (3); Oil & Gas (13)
- Engineering: Sustainability (19 books, incl. books on Green Architecture & Building (4); Renewable Energy (3); Sustainable Design (9)
- Engineering: Computer Tools (161 books, incl. books on MatLab (33); Programming Languages (12); AutoCAD (45)
- Engineering: Nuclear Physics (11 books, incl. Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics, 2nd ed.)
- Engineering: Nanotechnology (47 books, incl. books on Quantum Dynamics (2); Nanomaterials (11)
- Engineering: Telecommunications (244 books)
If you have any questions about access or possible subscription, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment on this post.
Have you accessed previously Digital Engineering Library? If not now is the right time. New name and new interface. Easy to search by either using a keyword search or view the full book (chapters in PDF).
McGraw-Hill Access Engineering provides access to full-text ONLINE BOOKS.
Focused around 14 major areasof engineering, AccessEngineering features a new taxonomy book view offering comprehensive coverage and faster title-by-title access to our engineering collection in the following subject areas:
- Environmental Assessment, Second Edition
- Environmental Monitoring Handbook
- Handbook Of Solid Waste Management
- Indoor Air Quality Handbook
- Industrial Water Quality, Fourth Edition
- The Environmental Law And Compliance Handbook
- Handbook Of Batteries, Third Edition
- Power Generation Handbook: Selection, Applications, Operation, And Maintenance
- Green Building Through Integrated Design
View some of the Chemical books:
Biomedical books such as: Bioinformatics: Sequence Alignment And Markov Models
Communications books such as:
- 3g Wireless Networks;
- Broadband Telecommunications Handbook, Second Edition;
- Data Communications And Networking, Fourth Edition
It is easy to search and explore. Leave a comment on this blog about your experience with Access Engineering e-books.