The University of Johannesburg Library & Information Centre has embark on a various projects this year: One Book One Library (read now, discuss in September), organizing a Conference in 2010 – “The Future is NOW: New Roles and relationships for Academic Libraries“, etc.
One of them involve providing more sitting space for students in the Library. At Kingsway Library the first 30 new tables were added (25/8/09) on Level 2, next to the Sciences, Health Sciences & Engineering Book Collections. Students have now 81 sitting tables on that floor.
More sitting spaces will be available in 2010.
Also coming in early 2010 is the new Library Computer Training room, with 50 seats and 26 computers (currently we have 13 computers). Will keep you posted….
Ovid Regional Sales Manager for Southern Africa, Connie Munsters has visited the University of Johannesburg Library & Information Centre on the 24th of August 2009. Some of the topics discussed were: E-books; Ovid Universal Search and Ovid Journals platform- the searching strategies.
The meeting was attended by the UJ Information Librarians and representative from the Collection Development.
The UJ Library subscribes to the following databases, available on the OVID Platform:
Some of these databases are Bibliographic, but Ovid provides links to the full-text articles if available through Subscription or Open access. Direct link to the UJ Library is also available (Currently there are some problems with the linking) .
Please leave a comment if you have any queries or experience a problem. E-mail me on: email@example.com
The University of Johannesburg Library collection of Electronic Books grow each year. Most of the databases are purchased by the Engineering Faculty, but many of these titles are relevant to the Sciences.
Have a look and make use of these collections. Why not recommend some of these books as an additional reading material to your students?
Direct links to the Online Books are available on the Sciences Librarian Portal and the individual Subject Portals.
AccessEngineering (Remote Access – YES)
> CRCnetBASE Online Books
The books in these collections cover a wide subject spectrum of interest to Scientists: Energy; Environmental & Ecological; Computing; Remote sensing; Chemistry and many more. The number of books grow each year with new publications.
ENGnetBASE (Over 1350 e-books)
INDUSTRIALnetBASE (Over 130 e-books)
MATERIALSnetBASE (Over 350 books)
ENVIROnetBASE (Over 570 e-books) NEW!
- Earth Science (13 e-books)
- Ecological Economics (8 e-books)
- Ecology (60 e-books)
- Environmental Modeling & Systems Analysis (18 e-books)
- Environmental & Ecological Risk Assessment (39 e-books)
- Environmental Engineering (Over 100 e-books)
- Environmental Health (31 e-books)
- Environmental Law, Management and Compliance (45 e-books)
- Environmental Toxicology (62 e-books)
- General (6 e- books; Energy Portfolios, Global Warming; Soil; Organic Chemicals, etc.)
- Geology (14 e-books)
- GIS and Mapping (44 e-book)
- Hazardous Materials (14 e-books)
- Landscape Ecology (9 e-books)
- Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry (58 e-books)
- Resource Management & Sustainability (30 e-books)
- Turfgrass Science & Engineering (3 e-books)
> ICE Virtual Library (Conference Proceeding, 1836-2002)
> Referex (via Engineering Village 2/ EV2) (Remote Access – YES)
The Library subscribes to 2 collections Electronic & Electrical Books (411) and Materials & Mechanical Books (521). These are some of the subject collections:
> Science Dissemination Using Open Access (Free access, Web 2.0; Open Access)
Enjoy your reading. If you have any comments, please let me know.
The University of Johannesburg Library has arranged a TRIAL to Project Muse. Direct link to the Project Muse journals is available on the Sciences Librarian Portal.
View additional TRIALS.
Trial ends: 2 September 2009
Full-text access to the journals is available only ON CAMPUS.
Project MUSE offers full text, affordable access to current content from prestigious Humanities and Social Sciences journals. MUSE is the most reliable source of titles from many of the world’s leading University presses and Scholarly societies, Journals with critically acclaimed articles by the most respected Scholars in their fields. Read MORE about Project Muse.
The following Subjects can be of interest to the Sciences users:
If you need help, please let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a comment.
University of Johannesburg Library has arranged a TRIAL to the Springer Books Online. View more TRIALS.
Access is available from the SpringerLink Database. Just login with your Surname/Student or Staff number/Library PIN. Need help? (email@example.com)
Trial ends: 5 October 2009
Full-text access to the journals is available REMOTELY.
TIPS for searching:
- SpringerLink database – Keyword search to retrieve articles and books results or
- Click on any of the links below to view the individual Book Series & Books
- Computer Science (9,188 books)
- Artificial Intelligence, incl. Robotics (6,167 books)
- Computer Communication Networks (5,680 books)
- Software Engineering (5,609 books)
- Database Management (4,835 books)
- Data Encryption (4,835 books)
- Algorithm Analysis & Problem Complexity (4,577 books)
- Computation by Abstract Devices (3,822 books)
- Engineering (2,232 books)
- Mathematics & Statistics (2,085 books)
Springer books are for the Science & Engineering Departments. Let us know if you find the trial useful. leave a comment.
University of Johannesburg Library has organised a TRIAL to Cambridge Journals Online. Direct link to the Cambridge Journals is available on the Sciences Librarian Portal. View more TRIAL Databases.
Trial ends: 20 August 2009
Full-text access to the journals is available only ON CAMPUS.
Subjects & Journals of interest to the Sciences Departments:
- Agriculture Journals (12)- Animal Science; Chinese Journal of Agricultural biotechnology; Experimental agriculture; Parasitology; Plant Genetic Resources; Seed Science Research, etc.
- Animal Science Journals (10)- Advances in Animal Biosciences,etc.
- Biology Journals (6)
- Biomedical Science Journals (22) – BioSocieties, Genetic Research, Microscopy and Microanalysis, etc.
- Computer Science Journals (12) – Combinatorics, Probability and Computing, Journal of Functional Programming, Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, Robotica, etc.
- Earth and Athmospheric Science Journals (13) – Environmental Practice, International Journal of Astrobiology, Marine Biodiversity Records, Proceedings of the International Astronomical Unit, etc.
- Ecology & Conservation Journals (14) – Bird Conservation international, Environmental Conservation, Environmental Practice, Systematics and Biodiversity, etc.
- Engineering Journals (8)
- Mathematics Journals (20) – Bulletin of the Australian Mathematical Society, Composito Mathematica, Journal of K-Theory, The Review of Symbolic Logic, etc.
- Molecular Biology Journals (10)
- Physical ScienceJournls (11) – Journal of Plasma Physics, Laser and Particle Beams, etc.
- Plant Science Journals (13)
For any comments or queries, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a comment